News View All News »
Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
Friday, August 8, 2014
The Liverpool Central School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher and principal data. In accordance with Education Law §2-d and the Common Core Implementation Reform Act, the District wishes to inform the school community of the “Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security.”
The Bill of Rights states:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State will be available for public review both online and via regular mail from the State Education Department. The Web site and mailing addresses will be listed here when they are made available.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. N.Y. Education Law § 2-d(3)(b). To file a complaint, contact Anthony Davis, Director of Staff Services for the Liverpool Central School District, by e-mail (TDavis@liverpool.k12.ny.us), by mail (195 Blackberry Road, Liverpool, NY 13090) or by phone (315-622-7130).